Sunday, September 23, 2007

Talkin' Hockey Returns, Epicness to Follow

After finally settling into the routine at my new school, I'm back and blogging. I'm sure all of my readers (er, reader? Anyone?) is excited, but please keep your shirts on.

I may not have been blogging, but I've definitely been following the Oilers (and, to a lesser extent, the rest of the league) and I've got some insight into the team that I hope hasn't been said exactly the same way elsewhere in the 'sphere.

Offensively, I'm optimistic. We have a lot of players who look ready to step up and score big, especially Cogliano (I'm getting ready to yell "COOOOOOOGS!" a lot this season) and Hemsky. Gagner is still not a lock for the big club, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he made it. Souray's bomb the other night was very impressive, and Pitkanen should do well offensively as well.

Defensively, not so much. Our goaltending looks to be solid, if not spectacular, but we have very little actual defensive power on the team. With Pisani out for what may be the entire season (career?), our two best D-men being very offensive, we're left with only Staios as being a good defensive defenseman. By the end of the season we might be able to add Green and Smid to the list (fingers crossed!), but that's anything but a sure thing.

That's my take on the team's situation, and I hope that we can at least make the playoffs. I can't survive another year of taking a ribbing from Flames fans. I simply can't.

No comments: