Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Five Oilers Most Likely To Impress

I'm not saying they'll be the best Oilers, I'm saying they'll exceed expectations the most. For instance, Roloson is not very likely to exceed expectations, even though he is likely to be one of the best Oilers.

Number Five: Matt Greene

Everyone is expecting young Master Greene to spend more time in the penalty box than on the ice, and to let everyone and their dog past him on their way to the net. However, I think he has the abilities to be a Gator-type, stay at home defender. He might take a few months to mature, but he'll get there.

Number Four: Shawn Horcoff

With the emergence of such players as Gagner and Cogs, Horcoff seems to have fallen by the wayside. but what many fans and bloggers have forgotten is that he is consistently one of our best players. I don't think he'll play with Pensky, but he'll probably play the tough minutes with more defensive wingers.

Number Three: Kyle Bordziak

He's already started doing it in the preseason, but I think that he'll be one of our best wingers this season. Because of our strength at center, he most likely won't be playing his natural position, but he's just too good to pass up, and he's proven that he has the talent to play wherever he needs to.

Number Two: Mathieu Garon

Roloson's starting to get older, and I expect that he'll be showing his age more and more this season. Does that mean he'll be a worse goalie? I don't think so. I DO think he won't play as often, which will give Garon a showcase for his talents. I'd expect him to play at least 20 games, maybe even more. And from what we saw of him in LA (actually, what I'm told we saw in LA. I won't pretend to keep up with every game of every team in the league) he's more than up to it.

Number One: Andrew Cogliano and Sam Gagner, a tie

In some ways, they shouldn't be here. They've already impressed enough people in TC that the 'sphere has placed the weight of the world on their shoulders, or so it seems. But compared to where they were at coming into this camp, they will DEFINITELY impress.

4 comments:

Scarlett said...

I agree with all but one: Matt Greene. The guy is horrible and players who have played less (much less) than Greene are passing him by. Hello Gilbert, he's played 12 games in the NHL and he's already better defensively, positionally and offensively. The Oilers don't want to admit they've made a mistake with Matty, that's the only reason he's still around. After 100 games, Matty should be further along in his development.

Otherwise, the rest of that list is great.

Santa Merda said...

People said a lot of the same things about Jason Smith when he was a rookie, but I bet New Jersey and Toronto are wishing they'd kept him now.

PunjabiOil said...

Hey, nice blog...I added you on my sidebar links.

I'll be checking this site out again. Cheers

Santa Merda said...

Thanks.